Monday, January 12, 2009

I Like T-Shirts.

Hugh is one of the biggest guys I've ever had on my caseload. He's freakishly tall and weighs at least 350 pounds. Probably more. He is a very dark-skinned African American man who could be a character right out of the Dick Tracy comic strip. He has a soft, almost child-like voice and his face is a tiny plane on an otherwise mammoth head. Hugh is one of my best guys. He does what he's supposed to without any heavy-handed interference from me.

Last month when he came in to see me, the first thing I noticed was his crisp new t-shirt. Being a huge shirt, it had a huge O'bama '08 logo on it. It was so cool.

I was thrilled for him when I saw his shirt. This was probably one of the first time's he'd ever participated in the political process. I wanted to reach out to him and hopefully get him to open up about his experience with this election and how it differs, for him, from previous political cycles.

I was ready to listen.

Pretty excited about it, too.

Until I remembered he's serving time on a felony drug charge and can't vote even if he wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment