Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Liberty and Equality Notwithstanding…

 

My guy hobbled down the hallway using his shiny new aluminum cane.  It’s kind of disconcerting to see a well-muscled, heavily tattooed, twenty-four year old man leaning on one of those little old lady canes they sell on the dark, depressing aisle of CVS.  He’s a millwright and had an accident at work last month.  He fell twenty-five feet into a pit, breaking his shoulder, his tailbone and a few other less important bits and pieces. 

He hopes to be released to return to work this Friday.  I’m thinking there is still a ways to go between wobbling and welding, but what do I know?  He’s anxious to get back to work because his workman’s comp hasn’t kicked in yet.  No income for the past month. 

My guy has skipped his AA meetings this week and claims he used the time to run around town getting assistance on rent and utility bills.  While I don’t question his need for financial assistance, I doubt he was keeping appointments with social service agencies between the hours of seven and nine in the evenings when he should’ve been at AA. 

What really makes this situation tight is that his girlfriend is pregnant.  She’s getting closer to her due date. I asked if his girlfriend was working.

“Is she helping with the bills?” was what I said.  ‘Pregnancy is not a disability, so is she up off her butt and making a contribution?’ was what I meant. 

“No, she’s real close to her due date,” he said.  “So she’s on Fraternity Leave.”

Fraternity Leave.  

Had there been a little less fraternity, there wouldn’t be a need for any leave!

12 comments:

  1. Wasn't it Fraternity Leave that got 'er in this condition?

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe all of the fraternity brothers will all pay child support. No money worries that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still don't understand when pregnancy became a disability......Girls are so frail these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Us teachers did our jobs real good!!!

    I have to smile and cringe at the same time. I always wanted to make my students able to live in the real world, and be able to communicate appropriately.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always good for a laugh over here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ouch...life's about to get harder for Silver Cane Man and his Little Woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oof!

    I don't know how you keep a straight face sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lord, I have missed your stories!! I'm glad I was not drinking my iced tea when I read that last little part!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you sure you don't work for Teh Church?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, that fraternity leave will getchya every time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha! Fraternity leave. And skipping AA? If he's well enough to get his arse to the bar or liquor store and drink, he's well enough for AA. He has impending fatherhood to think about now, he can't be messing around.

    ReplyDelete